Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

So much for updates....

Well, I learned something new yesterday!!! I guess that's a good thing.

I've got an iPhone which has been in need of an update on the operating system for some time.  For whatever reason, I decided yesterday was the day to do it. Great so far, right?

Well, I probably should've planned for a bit more time.  I couldn't do it on my phone and had to do it through itunes on my computer. So far, so good.

Plugged it in, updated it just fine. But then my computer wanted to back up my phone, since I hadn't done that in I don't know how long.  Still good so far.

Except that I had a lunch date with an old friend and needed to leave before it was done backing up.  So, DUMB ME, I unplugged my phone in order to leave, BEFORE it was finished.  Not so smart, apparently.

Phone wouldn't turn on during my lunch.  Came home and replugged it in only to find that EVERYTHING had been erased!  I mean everything.  The computer asked if I wanted to RESTORE to original settings.  That means, with NOTHING on it. NO PICTURES (all I really care about on my phone anyway).  @#$@#$

Called Apple and was happily advised that because I have icloud and had bought extra storage space (I did something right, finally), everything on my phone was actually backed up on the cloud. WOOHOO. The cloud? Who knew??

It has taken even until this morning to restore everything onto my phone.

Lesson learned, thank you very much.
No need to do the updates, actually.

Back to cleaning up the sewing room space, still.

Love to you all,
Randy

6 comments:

  1. OMG thank goodness for Apple support team and yeah ICloud
    glad it all worked out
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--what a relief! That kind of thing makes me sick to my stomach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Worked in IT for several years and the things I learned .... oh my!! We'd have people doing things to their phones (repeatedly) that had you shaking your head for hours ... what you did would have been the LEAST of the problems we saw. Yes, the "Cloud" is an excellent thing ... people just don't seem to understand it or get the concept. Glad it all worked out for you but DO understand the frustration. Imagine mine when my 87-year-old mom calls me (crying) because she can't get into her e-mail or another file because she "just opened this attachment from someone she didn't know" .... ARGHHHHH!!!!! LOL Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because I just got a new phone I downloaded everything I had on my old phone from icloud! At least one thing is good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so lucky to live with a computer geek.....38 years at IBM :0)
    I just say " Honey can you fix this please?" and it gets done asap.
    I can't tell you the hours it took for him to teach me how to blog!

    Glad it all worked out.......you'd be sick if you lost all those
    grandbaby pictures!

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you and I feel your pain. I have a love/hate relationship with electronics in general, but my phone is my phone book, my contact with my kids and friends and of course my photo album.
    Glad you are restored.

    ReplyDelete