Thursday, May 21, 2015

Rotary cutter over use??

I've got several rotary cutters, as I'm sure you all do. My favorite has become the small one, after taking a class and I became a convert from the larger 45 mm one. I did still use the larger one, when my smaller one wasn't handy. 

Imagine my surprise recently when the larger one broke or fell apart!! The washer snapped in two!! Ever heard of that?

I'd been trying to decide whether to replace the whole thing or not. Enter my friend Anne, who sent me an email about a new (to me) online company called MassDrop! You get a discount on items when the masses buy the same item. So when I saw they were selling a new 45 mm rotary cutter, I couldn't  resist. So look what just came!!

It's not the same design but I think it'll do. Any ideas on whether I can buy a replacement washer for the old one? Mind you, they are curved so I can't just go to the hardware store. 

On another note, I ran into Sew Many Quilts in Bend this week to pick up a border fabric for my cheddar delight and happened to start chatting with a woman working there about a new appliqué product. It's called Apliquick. Of course I had to try it out. I bought the paper and special glue. I'll let you know if it's better than the other ways I know. 

It has lots of Japanese writing so I'm guessing that's where it's from. I'm going to go online and see how it works maybe it'll inspire me to do more applique!!

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The best scissors??

My son's fiancée asked me to go with her to her wedding dress fitting today! What a treat!! The salon had a fitter who went around the hem to trim the length. I couldn't resist looking at his scissors!!

They are Kai scissors, which are my favorite!! What better endorsement??!!

Here is Julia, radiant as always!

Now I can't wait to get home and use my Kai's!!

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Finally sewing again

It's been a while since my Bernina and I got to spend time together! Lots of babysitting going on the past month.
 First task was to recover my pressing table. I bought this fabric recently and have wanted to recover my table.

Isn't that fun??

My first project was to try to catch up the Stars in a Time Warp that's going on. 

Here is my paisley block. I had trouble finding the right fabric as I guess I don't have much paisley fabric. 

The conversation print block was fun and I wound up making two!

Then the California gold was fun. I have lots of gold but opted for this one.

I still need to do 3 more. 

I'm participating in Lori's doll quilt swap and recently mailed off my little quilt to a woman in Wisconsin. I hope she likes it!

I was also recently on a quick trip to Hawaii and of course had to stop in at the local quilt store for a few pieces. This store has wonderful fabrics and I love shopping there. 

These are large pieces for a baby quilt I'm going to do. 

Here are a couple of fat quarters:

They also sell these wonderful "trash collectors ". I put it on my sewing table surface. 

Hope to keep sewing although we have the kids next weekend. 

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Have a super duper day

I wanted to be sure to wish everyone a fabulous Mother's Day today, whether you're a mom or not.

Women in general do so much to keep lives running and I applaud each and every one of you.

Hope you get to do something special for yourself today.

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Sashing advice

I started putting together my 25- patch quilt using sashing I recently bought in Wisconsin. The setting squares are from a French General fabric I got a while ago, which is particularly appropriate since many of the fabrics are from that line.  
My problem is that I'm not loving it. Of course Max does!

I wanted this quilt to be more feminine than the last one I did.  The blocks are definitely lighter but I think I like the contrast in the other one's Sashing

Any suggestions??

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

A lovely distraction

My dh had a last minute, quick trip to London recently and I naturally went along. I enjoy that London is an easy city to navigate your way, not the least of which is because everyone speaks English!  It's also easy to get from the airport into town.
One thing I noticed last time we were there was the front stoops often have quilt patterns! This time I found a few more:
I'd probably want to buy this place just for the Ohio stars in front!

One of my favorite places to visit in London is the Victoria and Albert Museum. They usually have a great textile exhibit and I wasn't disappointed this time with an exhibit about the use of chintz and embroidery.

This was embroidered!!

And of course one hallway had great floors!

When I visit places like the V&A Museum, I find myself drawn to looking carefully at the use of color and the combinations employed. This time we were looking for a special exhibit in blue and white painted porcelain which was hidden in a corner of the 6th floor. What a most amazing trove of pottery was hidden up there on the 6th floor. If it wasn't in a museum, I'd say the owner was a hoarder!! Seriously the most amazing collection of pottery I've ever seen!

Not only is the detail amazing, but the colors are spectacular!

I saved this for last. To reward the true followers of my blog:

Tomorrow I'll post pictures of other gorgeous colors found amongst the pottery!!

Friday, April 17, 2015

A novel idea

The quilt shop in Bend, Quiltworks, has a show every month. The April show is displaying quilts that were made to reflect the owner's interpretation of a book. The book was A Tale for the Time Being.  I think all the quilts are so interesting and so different!