Pages

Friday, December 15, 2017

Traveling there and back

I promised I'd send you hints of my whereabouts but we got so busy with our trip that I never had a chance.  And then we had to return early (more about that later, but dealing with elderly mother's serious medical issues).

We had a great trip.  If I have already sent you an email, please don't "guess" since you already know!


This was a building adjacent to a restaurant we found.




This building is a very tall (obviously) structure.


Another significant building.  This one is a ferry building.  Hint: we were near water!


This one is a give-away.  I saw this on a building as we were driving...


I did see a bit of things that reminded me of quilt patterns.  This was on a walkway alongside the harbor!


Here is some information about the walkway!  Maori culture was everywhere!



Islands everywhere!  This was taken on Waiheke Island, which was where we went on our first full day in New Zealand.  We took a 45 minute ferry ride (imagine that as your commute to work!) to this beautiful island where we went touring around and tasted wine.  We found some beautiful areas and were treated to our tour by someone who has lived there for many years.  Nothing like a native to show you around!  This was from the ferry leaving the island for our return trip back to Auckland.



My traveling will be scaled back quite a bit as my mom developed pneumonia just after we left.  She was hospitalized for 10 days and I just moved her into a board and care home where she is receiving excellent, very attentive care.  The shock is the transition:  my mom was completely independent and healthy (just about 90 yrs old), swimming regularly, walking, driving, living on her own etc.  Now she's being taken care of, her memory is gone, she's wearing a diaper and struggles to move around.

I know many of you have had to deal with elderly parents--I think it's a curse of the new generation.  People are living so much longer but not necessarily with a quality of life that anyone would want.

I am taking it day by day--hopefully because she was so healthy, she'll recover but I'm not honestly optimistic.  I'm going to start to look at care for her after her release in a month or two.  But with a very limited budget, it'll be a challenge.

Best wishes to all of you during this holiday season.  We really believe that we need to cherish every day, which is why we have been traveling so much.  Who knows what awaits us?  Sorry to be so philosophical... I promise this will be it.  Cherish it all!

More travel pictures and even some sewing to share!

Love to you all,
xxxxs,
Randy

8 comments:

  1. Lovely travel pictures...and I know where you went!! Cherish each day indeed...each is precious. I hope your mom recovers her quality of life...prayers and hugs to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of your Moms decline. You are blessed to still have her. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great travel pictures--looks amazing! It is hard to deal with aging parents; my Mom's spiraling down was a long road-- 8 years in a nursing home. As an only child it was quite devastatingly difficult...but, you are right, quality of life is to be fervently hope for...best wishes for your Mom's speedy recovery...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your trip looks wonderful--someday I hope to get there! So sorry to hear about your mother. It's heartbreaking to see such a drastic decline. She is lucky to have you making sure that she is being cared for. Hugs to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your dear Mom and I hope she is OK now... fingers crossed for her Randy.
    What a wonderful trip you've made ! Thank you for sharing !
    Hugs to you and your mom !

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sorry about your mum...mine will be 91 in feb and still spry and sharp for which i am grateful every day...hoping things improve for her and you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. It does sometimes happen in an instant and it is hard on the whole family. I am sending hope for healing. I'm glad you were able to get away to re-charge the batteries. I'm afraid I have been derelict in my Blog postings and reading. Hope to start fresh in the New Year. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though it was never easy, I'm really glad I've been able to be with so many family members when they have been terminally ill. I consider it a privilege and I hope my kids do too, when my time comes.

    ReplyDelete