Pages

Monday, April 23, 2018

And the winner is....

Thanks for all the great comments on what the highlight of your week was!  My random number generator chose:

HOLLY FIELD

as the winner of the Betsy Chutchian book.  Please send me your email address so I can ship it off to you right away!

We had a very busy family weekend;  my grandson had his first communion on Saturday morning (my very first event of this sort) and we had all our kids and  almost all the grandkids together for brunch afterwards at my daughters house in SF!  Little Eli was back at their house with my daughter in law's parents who are visiting from Germany this week.  My son turned 30 and they had a little party for him, too.  This pictures includes my son (left) and my two daughters (standing in the back).  My kids have grown up and it's now a totally new generation, watching the grandkids do what we watched our own kids too. Talk about feeling old!

On a sewing front,  I am back to sewing the triangle gatherings together and am starting to think about a setting.  There are just a few more to go!


I tried using Bonnie's new Quiltmaker block but I think it's too dominant:


Then I went with the original idea I had, to put them with hourglass blocks of very bright colors.  Still not loving it.



Then I went with pulling lots of different fabrics from my stash for possible sashing strips-- not sure I'm loving any of them, yet.

I've seen some with sashing strips-- someone has made sashing using 2 or 3 different strips of fabric, often two lights and a dark.  That just seems like a heck of a lot of work and I'm not sure what colors I'd like for the sashing...

I also played with dark corner stones...

What would you do with 98 different blocks, all finishing at 7"???
I'm really perplexed... and now my sewing room is a disaster, by my having pulled so many different things to try.


Let me show you what I did complete and am happy with... I made another Hawaiian bag, for an auction in Kauai.  Two sides to every bag, of course!

Just FYI... I think I ran out of the x-rated Santa fabric!

coming on my blog this week will be some gorgeous flowers from Filoli Gardens and also the mini quilt show from First Friday in Bend at Quilt Works...

Have a great week!



9 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous bag! And your family, all together, is so wonderful too. I like the bright alternate square idea, for your triangle quilt. It gives the eye a place to rest and showcases your blocks. Whatever you choose, it will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely family photo!!
    You are really making complicated blocks...they look challenging...but lovely
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a handsome family! Being able to get together for special occasions like that is wonderful! I like the idea of hour glass blocks as alternates but if you aren't sure about the brights, how about black and white? The hourglass blocks give you're year place to rest and showcase the pieced blocks. Whatever you do will be pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the hourglass blocks, too, but maybe choose just one color for all of them for a unifying effect.
    Great family photo! And that is a beautiful bag.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great family photo~! I love how they put "grandma" on a chair in the center front!!
    What a fun Hawaiian bag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Randy, I think the hourglass blocks are stunning! That gets my vote :-)

    FANTASTIC family photos. You've EARNED those grands!!!! Smile and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I thought the hourglass blocks looked nice. Maybe try one print that has the HST color in it. The snowball block may work, but then there is the ball space that begs to be quilted.... Never an easy choice. Your bag is very cute. I sent you an email. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely family photo on a beautiful sunny day!!!! Your Hawaiian bag is gorgeous. Sorry, but I'm not very helpful on how to set your Triangle blocks. If it was my quilt I'm sure I'd do something very simple and neutral (gray or black) since I'm not very creative. Your blocks are beautiful and I'll be excited to see what you finally decide!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy to hear you had a great family filled week! I have the book so don't enter me, just happy for you!
    Royal1688

    ReplyDelete