Pages

Saturday, August 17, 2019

Perfect wins out

What great thought-provoking solutions everyone sent.  The entire process was really interesting to me.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I opted to removed the incorrect sections from the bears paw block and resewed them.  It probably took me about 5 minutes to "unsew" the offending sections and less than that to resew them back together.



Now they look "right" but I will admit that I think they were more interesting with the two sections going the "wrong" way.  Now there's nothing to really get excited about in this block.  Unless you look closely and see the little coping strips I added to make the sections the right size. VBG

I also did get to a small block for the same project.  I didn't have dark thread in either of my machines so I hand-sewed the center square (I opted to make it as a pinwheel with the center square appliquéd onto the center rather than use the templates offered!)


I was cutting the pieces for the next block at my cutting table and got a different view of random orphan blocks on my design wall.  For some reason they called out to me to put them together as is!  So I think that may be my next project when we get back to the cabin.


When I visited Cyndi Black's shop in Maine last month (The Busy Thimble), I bought some of her cheater cloth fabrics, which I believe were on her sale rack!  I've seen some people use them on backings or as part of other quilts.  I think they're lots of fun, and once they're quilted, I think they'll make nice donation quilts!





This will likely go on the back of the Moda Blockheads II that I've been making in red/white/blue.  I'm even thinking I may give it to my son once he graduates from the Marine Officer's Reserve training at the end of the year.




This was on the back of one of the quilts in the teacher's tent at the Sister's Quilt show last month. 





Several years ago when I used to go to Wisconsin regularly we visited a quilt shop which reproduced antique quilts into cheater cloths.  It was done beautifully and artfully;  I don't think it was inexpensive to reproduce, either.  So I'm saying this so you won't poo-poo these cheater cloths.  I think there's an art to reproducing them.  I had bought a larger version of the squares a few years ago and had it quilted--I have to say with a flannel back, it's super comfy and looks awesome.

Yesterday little Emma (who turns 7 today!) had her horse show at the camp she's attended this summer here in Bend.  She's not a large child and the horse is plenty big so it's pretty impressive to see how well she handled Josey doing various maneuvers!


I'm off to Bend this morning for the local guild's quilt show (a few years ago I snagged the Rocketeer machine for $75 at the show!) so I'm sure I'll have some great quilts to show you, hopefully tomorrow.

Our 3 weeks with the grandkids at our cabin is drawing to a close as we have to drive them back to SF on Monday for them to start school.  We certainly loved our time with them.


  My dh and I, however, are returning after just a few days in California back to the cabin for the last vestiges of summer here in Central Oregon.  The weather always changes right after Labor Day--very chilly mornings, which I just love.

This was a sunset this past week!


Have a great weekend.

7 comments:

  1. Very well done on the Barrister's block. The added little strips looks more like a "make-do" than a oops. Love it. Also love the cheater fabric. They are awesome! Lucky girl. I can never find some in my neck of the wood. Emma looks very comfortable on top of her horse, exactly like a pro. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the correction--you are a better person than I am for sure--lol
    Now, I LOVe cheater cloths--just don't find many around here...I especially like that
    hexagon one--great colorways...enjoy your last days of Summer at the cabin hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! It looks great now! I had to do the same thing last night. I am hand quilting a Christmas quilt and I found a strip of background fabric I had sewn wrong side out. It was between two blocks, so a bit of time with the trusty seam ripper it was out, turned around correctly and stitched back in. I knew I would not be happy if I just kept quilting it in. It would have bothered me forever! All your blocks look great and will be fun to play with. Love the cheater fabrics, I never see them here. Your Grands are adorable bet you had some fun times with them. Enjoy your time with DH looking at more of those beautiful sunsets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on the repair.
    I love the cheater cloths. I have a quilt that is from a DWR cheater cloth. It was hand quilted by my MIL and other women from our church family with whom I gathered for quilting once a week for many years. It is a special quilt to me and I feel very lucky to have it--can't believe no one else in the family wanted it.
    Great photos of the grands. I would be totally worn out after three weeks in charge of mine. How do you do it? Of course, you are a few years younger. :)
    Gorgeous sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just couldn't stand it huh? ha ha . It look great now. I loved looking at all the fun bits on your design wall. It must be fun to return to see what's there to work on.
    Wow I really love all those cheater fabrics. The log cabin especially talks to me. What fun. I would have got them too. Wish I had seen them in person in VT.
    Those grandkids are too too cute!! what beautiful happy kids.
    gorgeous sunset. Looking forward to seeing the show post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sunset is just beautiful! I love those cheater fabrics and to use them as backs for your quilts--double the fun! I haven't started this month's Cheddarback blocks, but I plan to make that small block the same way you did--why torture ourselves unnecessarily--lol?!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're very fortunate to be able to have your grands spend so much time with you at the cabin. Plus you've got a great place to stitch.

    ReplyDelete