Pages

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Rotary cutter over use??

I've got several rotary cutters, as I'm sure you all do. My favorite has become the small one, after taking a class and I became a convert from the larger 45 mm one. I did still use the larger one, when my smaller one wasn't handy. 

Imagine my surprise recently when the larger one broke or fell apart!! The washer snapped in two!! Ever heard of that?


I'd been trying to decide whether to replace the whole thing or not. Enter my friend Anne, who sent me an email about a new (to me) online company called MassDrop! You get a discount on items when the masses buy the same item. So when I saw they were selling a new 45 mm rotary cutter, I couldn't  resist. So look what just came!!

It's not the same design but I think it'll do. Any ideas on whether I can buy a replacement washer for the old one? Mind you, they are curved so I can't just go to the hardware store. 

On another note, I ran into Sew Many Quilts in Bend this week to pick up a border fabric for my cheddar delight and happened to start chatting with a woman working there about a new appliqué product. It's called Apliquick. Of course I had to try it out. I bought the paper and special glue. I'll let you know if it's better than the other ways I know. 

It has lots of Japanese writing so I'm guessing that's where it's from. I'm going to go online and see how it works maybe it'll inspire me to do more applique!!

7 comments:

  1. I read on someone's blog that they had a cutter that broke. They contacted the company and received a free replacement. You might ask them if they would send a new washer to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had that happen to me, but you are probably not alone.
    Love that new purple one, but the ergonomic ones are so much easier on my wrist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you get the metal sticks as well? Without them you can't do appliquick. You can see it on you tube. It is specialy handy when you do very small pieces. The sticks and scissors are Spanish. The glue might come from Japan. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have both those type cutters and prefer the one that broke on you ... just feels better in my hand. I've also tried those ergonomic ones and go back to my "oldies" after a few cuts. I agree with Judy Zoll ... drop them a note/email ... they would probably send you a couple of the washers at the very least. VERY interested in your new Apliquick discovery ... anxious to see what it does ... might just have to check out YouTube myself! Have a great Memorial Day weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "Splash" is all the rage now! I hope you were able to fix your other Olfa too and best wishes with your new applique tools!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say I have this new Olfa and it is easier to change blades. I'm not much for new gadgets and I really don't like change but I do like this one. I know you can buy "cambered" washers at the hardware store so maybe if you take it with you they can find a replacement. Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete