Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2015

The benefits of multi-tasking

After I've finished a project, I usually struggle trying to decide what to sew next. After I finished the Hawaiian baby quilt, I was having trouble deciding what I wanted to work on next.

When I couldn't make up my mind I decided to work on two projects at the same time.  That turned out to be a great idea.

I recently saw a top on line that I thought was adorable and very doable.   So I decided I was going to try to make something similar to that top. I had also started some blocks that are like a trip around the world, from Bonnie's website so I figured I might as well pull out those blocks as well.

The advantage of doing that was that for each piece of fabric that I pulled out of my stash I was able to cut it into pieces to use for two or even three projects at once.  So I did not have to put the rest of the fabric back into my stash. I used up whatever piece I pulled out.
This is the block from Bonnie's website:


These blocks recall require six strips that are 2 1/2 inches wide and 16 inches long.

The other blocks that I decided to work on take different size pieces but I was still able to use up the scrap piece that I pulled from.
Here is one block:

This block required a 4-1/2 inch square for the center, four strips that are 1-1/2" wide and four squares that are 2 1/2 inches square. This block uses lights and darks.  So I would cut a 2 1/2 inch strip for the trip around the world and then I would cut 4-1/2 inch square and 2 1/2 inch squares and 1-1/2 inch strips which I would use in other blocks.

Here are the blocks I finished the other day:

The blocks finish at 6 inches.  

I didn't clear a lot of space in my stash but it felt good not putting fabric back into the stash but rather I was able to use it up.  So that is my brilliant thought for the day.

8 comments:

  1. Oh what a great idea--if you like the colorways to begin with, why not use them in another setting!! Brilliant! I like your taw and your centered squares--I like that they feature a lot of those nice prints....hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Bonnie's Scrappy Trips pattern. Come to think of it, I have one in progress somewhere. Should probably get it finished sometime. : )
    I like those scrappy, fun blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been very busy but you made a beautiful work !!
    Love your scrap with squares !

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great and it makes sense to cut for at least 2 projects at a time when using scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! Love the fabrics in your square in a square. It's always good to get some fabrics used up! I have been wanting to make the trip around the world some day. However, I don't have your problem of not having another project to work on when one is finished because I have several boxes with already started projects that have been UFOs for quite a while. I'm hoping to get at least one more of them finished this year - 2 UFOs are ready to baste and quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how both blocks look very different, even though most, or all, the fabrics are the same. Sq in a sq in a sq. Fabulous look and this was a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. always a good feeling to use up scraps....very nice blocks!

    ReplyDelete