Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Lots of progress!

I came to Wisconsin determined to finish two ufos and I'm proud to say that they are done!! And I'm not going home until Sunday!! Vbg



The fabric I brought for the border doesn't work (it'll go on the back!) so we are heading to a local quilt shop. Oh so sad, hunh??!!
This quilt was made via a swap. We all made half square triangles as well as swapped strips do I didn't have to make all the components. It did take forever to cut them apart, press and then sew but I'm very happy with the finished product!! We are calling that Under the Big Top. My friend Lori posted instructions a couple of years ago. So this top was two years in the making!!  Not so bad. 

My other completed ufo has been in the works for more than 10 years!!  I saw this quilt in Houston in 2002. The only reason I know that is because I took a picture of the quilt and had the picture printed and the date is in the corner!  Remember when we printed pictures and the date was in the corner!!
  It is a Sue Garman design although I never got the pattern. I figured it out myself. 



Truth be told there's supposed to be several more borders including a round of pinwheels but I decided it was done enough so I am calling it finished!!  Ten years???  Glad it's done!!

I'm going to show you what others have been sewing later today!  We are off to get fabric and sweet corn to bring back to my hubby!!  Gotta love Wisconsin sweet corn this time of year!  My dear friend Debbie had corn and a Spotted Cow for me (not literally) my first night!  What a great friend!

11 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning quilts--how nice that you didn't have to cut those triangles---(way to go) Tonight is beef stew for us with garlic bread--too hot to even bbq out there!! tho' we did get 1/10th inch of rain--big yip!! Have a fun time...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Under the Big Top is THE ultimate scrap quilt! Absolutely loved it when Lori made it, and now I love yours just as much!
    Oh, I recall now when I showed a mini blue/brown pinwheel quilt once you said you were making the same design in a larger size--and here it is. Love it, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Under The Big Top is a "riot"!! Love it to a million pieces (pun intended. Well done, girl!! Enjoy that Midwestern corn ... nothing like it in the world. Hubby used to travel to France (Tournus near Lyon) on business. He always thought it was strange that they didn't have "corn on the cob" there during the summer ... guess it's an American thing. When our French friends/co-workers would visit they would always ask for corn on the cob ... isn't that fun?!? Watermelon has to be one of most favorite things. Have you ever tried watermelon with fresh basil leaves and Feta cheese crumbles? OMGosh!! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both quilts are stunning but the first one is really talking to me! Well done Randy and hoorah for Wisconsin, so good for inspiration! Going to the local quiltshop must have been a punishment LOL Bisous from Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Randy! Awesome job on the Big Tent. Love the chocolate covered cherries ... uhmm, I mean the pink and brown quilt. lol. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you Randy! Both of your finishes are FANTABULOUS! I particularly love Under the Big Top with all of the scrappy hsts! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Under the Big Top--wish I had made it back then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Under the Big Top is gorgeous!! Love all the colours. Ten years..a long time, but it turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats for your finish of Under the big top. It's fabulous. I've always loved that one from Lori. Congrats on your other completed top too! Wow!
    I'm in Wisconsin too. The sweet corn is the BEST! Did you all time your retreat to be in sweet corn season? He he!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Under the big top is one of my favorite quilts that Lori made and I love yours just a much, what a great piece you have there,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I call that jet speed. You must have had the pedal to the metal the whole time. I just love your Under the Big Top. My colors indeed. Enjoy the corn. I think corn is my favorite part of summer!

    ReplyDelete