Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Is this any way to lead a lecture? NO

I have a bone to pick, if you will.
I went to a local guild meeting last night hoping to learn something from an teacher/lecturer about The Value of Value.  Seemed like a worthwhile idea, especially since my dh, who seems to be settling into his non-working status, is home all the time! ;-)

Anyway, she primarily does appliqué and mentioned a couple of times about a product she uses for appliqué without mentioning it specifically.  She also talked about her method for binding quilts, using a pillowcase method, without offering any specifics.

I approached her after the lecture to ask her about the product she alluded to for her appliqué method.  She told me that I had to attend her class in order to get that information.  WHAT!!!???  Was she kidding??  I think she also said you had to buy her CD in order to find out how to do the pillowcase method of binding quilts.  SERIOUSLY??? Um, I don't think so.

Being a close friend of Bonnie Hunter's and having attended many classes, I have to say that I was shocked that she treated me (and everyone else, for that matter) like that.   I've obviously been spoiled by the likes of Bonnie and others so that I was truly offended by her attitude.

Anyway, here are my first 4 log cabins, sashed.  It makes a huge difference, I think.  I'm even liking them, notwithstanding their tiny tiny size!


Liking them so much that I started on the next two (four) blocks!


This is another line from the French General, with different colors, though.  I think I will sash all 4, once they're done. Aren't they fun?  I'm cutting my strips at about 1", and after sewing the seam, I'm pressing it and measuring 1/2" precisely, so the finished "log" is 1/4".  maybe next blocks I'll do a little demo, like my friend Wendy Reed! vbg.

In case you haven't been following the weather in California, we've been getting deluged with rain.  It had been this way many years ago, but not for years have we had this much rain.  Mud slides everywhere; trees down; potential flooding, my rain gauge is filling up every day!  The worst thing for me is that I'm unable to WALK!! I am falling behind in my steps on my Fitbit, which is driving me crazy!! I'm hoping tomorrow will be clear, finally.  When I was in Oregon at the cabin last week, I got lots of walking in, which was great.  This week?  Not so much!

26 comments:

  1. I am sorry...maybe if you googled it, you could find what she so weirdly eluded to!! STay dry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard she used Mod Podge, but I can't verify that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really loving the tiny log cabin blocks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful new set of blocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those little blocks. How are you going to set them? Maybe you could Google that teacher by name and find a blog post where someone let out the secret "ingredient" in their post. If you don't want to share info, don't collect money for teaching is my feeling. I am sure your guild paid money for her lecture!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be frustrated too with such an attitude from a teacher. I mean, didn't the guild paid to have her over? And she gives nothing back, nothing more than an infomercial? How rude!! Anywho!! Your Log Cabin blocks are sooo cute. Love the fabrics in the second set too. Great idea to use red for the sashing. What a difference it makes. Love it! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like it was not a very good lecturer. However, I love your blocks. Log Cabin quilts are one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We really are spoiled by Bonnie! I think we sometimes forget how truly generous she is with all her knowledge, creativity and enthusiasm! SHE's what quilting is all about for me.....sharing and helping others enjoy this crafty path! I'm all for someone being able to turn their hobby into a business, but snooty attitude won't catch too many students, or their money! Again, thank goodness for Bonnie! And I'm loving your blocks....AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that lady was rude, obviously she just cares about money.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too bad about the lecture. I wonder if she is really happy. We had a local quilt shop owner who was that way. Luckily I had a friend who worked there. I've learned generous people are happier and I'm forever thankful for Bonnie and all the blog people I follow for all the information that has helped my quilting. Like your log cabin blocks. I'm working on making more 3.5" finished ones with 1" strips. This has been a long time project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your log cabin blocks.
    About the binding with the pillow case finish, do you know if it is similar to the knife edge finish; if so, there are some tutorials on the web, like
    http://welshquilts.blogspot.ca/2011/07/how-to-sew-traditional-or-knife-edge.html
    and http://www.todaysquilter.com/tutorials/knife-edge-finish-quilts/

    Have a nice day,
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that little block. I have never seen a log cabin quite like it with the alternating light and dark on either side. I think it is quite striking. Here in Vancouver, I woke up to 12" of snow this morning and it hasn't stopped yet. Not our regular weather at all but it is sure beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are lots of tutorials on pillowcase binding. If it was me, I would have probably divulged her name on my blog. LOL
    Love your log cabin blocks!
    No rain boots and umbrella?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like someone thinks pretty high of herself as a quilter. You should have gotten better answers to your questions. How RUDE!! As the Full House girl used to say.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a shame. There a lot of teachers on the circuit now who only care about money and not helping and nurturing quilters. I'm with Lori - I wish you had shared her name, why should guilds continue to pay for speakers with this attitude.
    Love your log cabins! So Tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like to think that all quilters are like us and will share what we have learned freely with others. I tend to forget that there are people in the world like this person. I noticed that you kindly did not mention her name! I don't expect people who make their living in the quilt world to give their services away for free. But, being kind and sharing their knowledge is part of quilting. Thank goodness there are more "Bonnie's" in the world than there are "this person". Thanks for sharing. And I LOVE those little log cabins. The red sashing is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh your Log Cabins are so beautiful! Love how small the strips are...And that teacher is no teacher in my book--teaching is SHARING your information...passing it on in the spirit of quilting and quilters over generations. Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love log cabin blocks and those are so cute! I once thought that anyone using 1" strips for them must be nuts, but then I did it, so I have changed my tune on that. I want to make a table runner with 1" logs. One of my many desires! That teacher is rather short sighted. Not everyone can attend her classes and her reputation will precede her with that attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a shame this greedy attitude was part of the featured speaker. It seems to be that this attitude has also permeated blogland. There are so many generous teachers/quilters who so freely share their art with us and offer quilt-alongs ala Bonnie Hunter. On the other hand I have noticed that lately many blogs are offering quilt-alongs for a price - these are primarily quilt shops but also some individuals. Love your log cabin blocks and the red looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with Julierose ... she is NOT a teacher. You don't "bait" people and then not share the rest of the story. She could have demo'd something she was willing to share with you completely and then told you about other things available in her class or CD ... I think the guild, if they paid her, got shafted. Definitely not the caliber "teacher" as Bonnie Hunter, who we both love and know is the quintessential teacher. LOVE your log cabin blocks (which is my favorite block ... EVER). I will have to see if they have this QAL translated into English someplace. Envy you being able to speak French ... I tried in high school but didn't have enough "phlem" to please my teacher/nun ... LOL Linda

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am LOVING these blocks Randy! Especially the fabrics you are using! About the speaker.......sounds as if she is in quilting for business only, not pleasure. Especially the pleasure of sharing her work and seeing people happy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am loving your log cabin blocks! Thank you some much for the squishy mail I the other day! I don't know what to say about the lady who gave the lecture, but she is no way near the caliber of Bonnie Hunter who is an amazing teacher and so generous with her gift.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I love the sashing between the log cabin blocks. You are going to start a trend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the little logs sashed, but how are you going to handle the blocks of 4 w sashing? more / wider / sashing?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I received the French general scraps. Thanks so much, they will be loved probably into a mini quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Claim faucet satoshis at Moon Bitcoin. 514 sat. every 24 hours.

    ReplyDelete