Pages

Monday, January 30, 2017

Moving along

The kids went back home yesterday at noon so I had some time to work on my Triangle Gatherings blocks as well as my Primitive Gatherings wool applique quilt (which I just learned will be all of 27"!!).



I still need to add another round of half square triangles and then start work on the border.  You've all seen pictures of each individual block as I finished them.  Looks so different all assembled, although I'll tell you that the "football" in the upper right corner would've looked much better if it was round, but what are you gonna do??? VBG

and I didn't have any better luck sewing the triangles on the Janome.  I still had to take off two little pieces at each end and I had trouble feeding the tiny blocks into the machine.  Kept getting stuck.  maybe I needed the walking foot or accufeed?  Pretty frustrating.

I also did two more triangle blocks using my bright Lori Holt-type fabrics!




Couldn't resist sharing a picture of little Emma (note her necklace!) admiring her new cousin Eli, just two months old.  Photo bomb with Jack in the back.  We took the kids for a walk to visit the horses nearby our house-- one of their favorite things to do!

12 comments:

  1. I've never had luck piecing with my Janome, and use the old 1950s Singer 301 or 201 for piecing. The Janome is used for machine quilting and binding. It's much more relaxing to piece on the vintage machines, the visibility and stitch quality is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! And, I LOVE the football! An oval adds dimension to the overall quilt. I really love this quilt. Those kids keep getting cuter! It doesn't look like 70 degrees that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see what you call the "football" but, funny, that's not what I see. I think it looks like a head band. You know, way back when we would put flowers in our long straight hair, lol. That's what it looks like to me. But, hey, football works too. :^D. Love the triangles blocks, especially the second one: Orange!! It is so vibrant. Also fun to see the grandkids too. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!! I have the kit too...just have not even touched it...you are inspiring me!!! I like the football the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is fun when the block finally come together in a top! Looks great!
    Your triangle blocks are bright and happy.
    What a sweet photo of the grands. Love the fashion statement that necklace makes. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find that my 1/4 inch is the same between machines if I use a guide strip and a seam guide ruler (Bonnie Hunter) which has a hole in it at the 1/4 mark. Until then, I had the same luck as you. I also find that a single needle hole in my stitch plate works the best for piecing. It doesn't allow the fabric to "sink' into the needle hole. Hope that makes sense and helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure Emma is feeling like a princess with her beautiful jewels!!! (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the wool appliqué quilt. Love the tiny triangle border too. Your triangle gatherings blocks are so cute. I'm doing them too although I'm not caught up.
    My machine Pfaff is broken so I'm using the Singer 301 for piecing. It's pretty good at piecing those tiny triangles but I do have to lift the foot up when starting most of the triangles as it's pretty thick with those bunches of seam allowances.
    Going to take the Pfaff in soon to see if it can be fixed. Shop about an hour away and winter in Wisconsin. My free days have been snowy roads. The sun will come out eventually. Until then, 301 it is!
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your wool quilt is beautiful--I have always had a bad relationship with triangles...not my fave at all--yours look great! Cute pic of the kiddies...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you have about every color of wool in your piece. Very scrappy looking and my kind of style.

    ReplyDelete
  11. With all your blocks together your wool sampler looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. With all your blocks together your wool sampler looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete