Pages

Friday, February 24, 2017

Completely out of touch

I went to get my car serviced yesterday and while it was in the shop, I went to the local mall (where I hadn't been in a long long time) and was walking around and happened to see this THING moving down the mall.



It was MOVING!  I was astounded.  It had lights flashing and went back and forth.  I asked someone working at one of those little kiosks and he told me that this is for SECURITY.  It is filming everyone and everything and moving around to make sure it covers everyone.  WEIRD!!  What have I been missing??!!

And then, not to be outdone, I went for a snack and saw THIS, which was stationary, but WEIRD nonetheless.


It was animated and talking!  What has happened to malls??  VBG


I promised I would show you some pictures from Diamond Head, which was an old volcano in Honolulu.  It was also used as an outpost during the war, although the top was very small so it only had a small area for watching for enemies! ;-)
It was a pretty strenuous hike up, involving some VERY steep steps.  I was too winded to take a picture, and I'm sorry I didn't.  But here are some shots.  If provided a beautiful view over the water and the old crater.


This is Diamond Head from the beach.  We hiked up to the tippy top!
Here you can see the outer edge of the crater:



Look at the colors of the water!! Isn't that gorgeous??!!  You can see we were pretty high up!


This is looking in the other direction, towards Waikiki Beach.  Water still beautiful!

I continue to be amazed at how some people seem to think that rules don't apply to them.  There was a big sign telling people to STOP and not go any further.  And the DANGER warning sign was obviously unheeded!


We had a fun girls' weekend in the warmth and sunshine, sans husbands!

it's still good to be back home;  I'm babysitting today for my grandkids and we are having them with us this weekend!  No sewing for me but there is a quilt show put on by my local guild and I'm going on Sunday.  Quilt pictures to follow, I promise.

My friend Claire shared this quilt with me that she was putting in the show.  She is so creative.

She designed a block of the month every month this past year for the guild, using scraps.  I think this was one of the first.  I love how she cut off the boats at the bottom and the top. She also has a longarm and did a great job quilting, I think.

Have a great weekend!

12 comments:

  1. Oh my, those little droids do have me baffled. Seems like we can't escape the dreaded cameras, huh. Enjoying the photos of Hawaii. Love those views from above. I used to sail with my ex and he would have loved it if I'd made a quilt like that. I like the wavy watery movement the quilting gives it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, those dopes ignoring the danger warning signs would be the first to sue if they fell and injured themselves (or worse, died!). Really aggravating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that sailboat scrappy quilt! Years ago, we took our son to Hawaii...the last big trip before he left for college. I have some similar pictures, and it is was great fun! I am so glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh your friend's sailboats are just adorable--
    WOW--Diamond Head--you climbed up it?? yikes--I am a real scaredy cat when it comes to heights, ladders, stairways, etc. When we were in Germany I didn't go on the cable car up the Zugspitz (sp??) just happy to watch it swaying on its way up there...hugs, Julierose P.S. have fun with the grands...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to your friend ...her quilt is beautiful !
    I'm glad you spent unforgettable holidays in Honolulu !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was gifted a box of quarter sq. crayola color box. I had thought of doing the sailboat using the primary colors, but was sticking to a solid color background. Now I am going to rethink this. Love the sail boats. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like an amazing view!
    Claire's quilt is fun and the quilting perfect for the sailboats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really out of touch--rarely set foot in our mall and I haven't seen the robotic patrols. We probably don't have them in our little mall.
    Lovely views of Hawaii. Someday I may even get there! : )
    There are those that think signs and rules are meant for everyone but themselves. Maddening!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting about the robots at the mall. They usually have security cameras everywhere so I wonder what their purpose is. Gorgeous photos of Hawaii! I love Claire's sailboat quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing views of the ocean! I haven't seen anything like those robots anywhere around here. My MIL made quilts for my boys years ago with the sailboat block. I think at least one son still has his - I don't know about the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clara's quilt is delightful. What an awesome view from Diamond Head. It's amazing to see the changing colors of the ocean below.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't been to a mall in years. Guess I need to see what is new in the world! Diamond Head is so beautiful. What a great trip. Love the sailboat quilt. She must be proud.

    ReplyDelete