Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

The perfect winter weekend getaway and a little culture!

A girlfriend and I just spent a most fabulous weekend luxuriating in the Hawaiian weather in Honolulu!  OMG.  It was wonderful to get away and see some sun and warmth.  Of course, when I returned, the freeways to my house remained closed due to mudslides so I had to drive an extra 90 miles to get home.  But well worth it.  We had a blast.

When we were there,  one of the highlights was our visit to the former home of Doris Duke, called Shangri-La. www.shangrilahawaii.org/  
Of course, I saw quilt patterns everywhere!  


Have you ever seen or heard of a banyan tree?  This is what greeted us before entering the house.  Amazing!~!

I learned that Doris Duke was the richest woman in the world, having inherited her father's wealth when she was 12 yrs old!  She married in her early 20s, used a personal cruise ship to honeymoon around the world  and wound up staying in Hawaii for 4 months and loved it so much, that she bought 5  completely undeveloped acres on the water and built an estate.  She traveled extensively during her life but especially loved Islamic art.  She accumulated quite an eclectic collection of art.

Because she was so very rich, nothing was out of her reach.  And I think she had very good taste, although I wouldn't say that I loved all her art.  She had all her floors made of hand-cut marble and tile.  These were some of the floors!




Some of the pictures are a little blurry--and you can just make out my flip flops and orange toes here! ;-)







This was on a wall!

The amount of tile work throughout the house was just overwhelming and gorgoeus.  


Of course, all the doors were hand carved and contained messages.  This was just one.


Then there was the furniture, with its ivory inlaid construction!  We do these patterns with fabric.  Can you imagine having to cut ivory and put it all together like this??  I couldn't imagine the labor involved!






And the gardens?  You can just imagine how wonderful they were!
I just loved this display in one smaller area.  Weren't her interests so eclectic?



If you look closely at the bottom of the marble steps, you can make out quilt patterns in the marble as well.  This was the side entrance!!

The next day, we hiked up to Diamond Head, a former volcano,  and I'll show you pictures of that tomorrow.  I hope to get some sewing done tonight, having been away from my fabric and machines for the entire time (and more!).  I might even have some blocks to show you.

Don't forget that our sew along starts on March 1st... one week!  I hope you'll join in!

12 comments:

  1. Wow ... can you imagine walking out of the house, after a fine dinner with friends, through that garden and along that pool. Certainly rarified air! Glad you were able to escape your weather if only for a short while ;-) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pictures. Awesome tiles. Sounds like a glorious weekend. Thanks for sharing. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you only stayed the weekend!!! With a flight like that, I have to stay at least a week (for me from TX, 10 days is the minimum)! Shangri-La was one of the places I'd hoped to get to when there a year ago. Maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of the woman, but it looks like a fun place to visit- so many patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not familiar with her either, but the side entrance to my house looks just like that (not). : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't even imagine that kind of life style. Thanks for sharing. Hawaii? Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful to enjoy a few days sun and nice warm weather! Shangri-La looks like an amazing place. I guess with that much money you can afford to be eclectic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh thanks for sharing this site with us; amazing --can you imagine living like that? Must have taken a whole crew (or a whole village lol) to keep it up! Very interesting...glad you had a good get away. Hubster and I are in need of one--between both of us having cataracts and doing 5 weeks of drops after each one, we have been homebound for a while now....hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard of Doris Day. What an amazing place! I am glad you were able to see it in person and were kind enough to show us! So much quilt inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Just amazing! I love all of the tile work, but the ones with the ivory just amaze me. Would love to design a quilt like that. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh. My. Gosh!!! Just amazing! Quilt designs everywhere too!! They have banyan trees in Florida too and I had my picture taken standing among the various trunks of a humungous one.

    ReplyDelete