Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

Bullseye - Part I

This block has 4 pieces:
the background, which is 9-1/2" cut.

There are also 3 circles, of 3 different sizes: 7", 5-1/2" and 3-1/2".
You can use a compass to get the right size or find a bowl or lid or other household object for the shape.

I traced them onto paper and cut them out.




I laid each circle out on the fabric to make sure the fabric was large enough:




Then I folded the paper circle into a pie shape; I also folded the fabric into fourths and laid the paper circle on the fabric, marked the outer edge



Then I cut on the marked line while holding the fabric in fourths:



I then placed the dark circle onto the background and sewed around the edge, approx. 1/2" from the outer edge. It doesn't have to be exact or a perfect circle!


You can press it just to make sure everything is in the right place, looking good.

Then I turn it over to the back side, snip a little slit in the center back and trim the excess fabric close to the stitching line to remove the excess fabric. You don't want more than one layer/thickness of fabric.  Keep in mind that you are going to be sewing two more circles on top so you definitely need to minimize the excess fabric. Be careful not to cut the circle, though!!



In two weeks, we will sew the remaining two circles on top just like we did the first, large one.  I like to make sure there is some contrast between the circles so my next one will be light;  the smaller circle will be darker.  We will continue to trim the back sides of the excess fabric.

Two weeks later,  we will cut the blocks apart and resew them back together.

Have a great week!!

4 comments:

  1. Bullseye is an awesome quilt and fun to do however, I must mention this pattern comes from a Country Threads book titled "Quilts from Aunt Amy" FYI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was unaware of the patern or book. I believed the block was in the public domain. I can change the name --

      Delete
    2. This quilt has been wildly popular, and the raw edge technique has been expanded for other designs. I can't speak for Mary or Connie, but perhaps an acknowledgement of the design source. I didn't want you to be blindsided.

      Delete
  2. Excited to get started on this. I am glad that we are not going at a super fast pace. I think I might be able to keep up.

    ReplyDelete