Pages

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Another deviation

I really am getting tired of 25-patch blocks and I'm feeling I need to use some fabrics from my stash so I'm taking a break from the project. I think I sewed about 45!! I am shooting for 72 so I'm more than half way there. 
Bonnie showed us a cute quilt she had seen recently so I decided to make one of the blocks. It's really an album block, which is a favorite of mine. 

I was using my 2-1/2" strips 

I started with a regular 9-patch and then added a light-red-light strip on each side along with a light square centered. 

Then it just needed to be squared up being sure there's a 1/4" seam left along each edge. 


Cute, Hunh?? It measures about 8 1/2" unfinished. 

I'm now going to work on another project I've wanted to do for a while. It's a quilt called Dipped In Chocolate with a gazillion 4-patch units that are very tiny. I'll show you that next. 
We are about to go for a walk through the very chilly North Carolina hills although we have nothing to complain about. No snow here. Hearts go out to everyone on the east coast. Be safe. 

6 comments:

  1. I love making album blocks like this. It's easier than adding trangles to the edges. Good colors for the up-coming month. Can't go wrong with Red and Whites! <3 it Glad you can bundle up for your little hikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is another pattern on my seemingly endless bucket list. Maybe I will just check it off as I watch you make it! vbg
    Can't wait to see Dipped in Chocolate with it gazillion "tiny" 4 patches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your block is so sweet !!
    I like to go on the Lori's and Bonnie's blogs too because I have more photos !!
    What a great week you spend !!
    Enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely block! I found that with this technique it helps a LOT to starch the squares that will be trimmed. It keeps the bias edges under control.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fabrics in your block! Can't wait to see the tiny dipped in chocolate 4-patches! Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not sure that I have seen the block trimmed like that...I am a big fan. I have made the block before, but your way looks way better. Love the red and whites.

    ReplyDelete