Pages

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Happy Valentines Day

I wish everyone a lovely, fun loving Valentine's Day, regardless of how you spend it.  I think even just wearing a red sweater makes the day sweeter!

I have a quilt to share with you.  This was made from a swap I think I hosted many years ago.  It's perfect for today!


I don't think you can tell that the border is red hearts that are shiny!  And my binding is wavy white lines on black.  Probably should've cut the fabric the other way, but oh well.

Here is the back, which was a way for me to try to use extra blocks and extra fabrics!


Getting my mom settled in her new Assisted Living has really relieved me of a lot of stress I didn't realize I was living with.  I have finally been able to do some sewing without it feeling like work!

I am trying to finish up the swap being organized by Barb Vedder... I need to make 54 churn dash blocks that are BRIGHT and MODERN!  I decided to try something different.  My plan is to set the block using my Kaffe Fassett fabrics I've been collecting.


Here are the beauties I picked up at Rosie's last weekend:

I had to buy solids as well some lights that seem more modern.  It's kind of fun sewing with completely different colors and themes.  I'm enjoying it, honestly.

When I joined the swap, I had thought I could use up my Kaffe Fassett fabrics.  I later learned the fabrics needed to be solids!  YIKES.  I didn't have a single one that was all solid (not even mottled would work)... so shopping was required!  Just what I needed... more fabrics!

My mom seems to be adapting very well to her new home.  She's been walking all over the place, excited to be free from the confines of the board & care place she has been in for the past 2 months.  She's getting fed regularly and someone will clean her apartment every week.  I think she will have a much better life than she had previously, even without the driving.  She just couldn't handle the independence any more... new life stage which she is embracing.  Gotta give her lots of credit for her positive attitude!

9 comments:

  1. It is difficult and heart wrenching to take care of our older parents...you are doing such a good job!! Love your quilt!! I am doing those churn dash blocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mice quilt for Valentine's Day. I was going to make a new Valentine quilt of some sort this year but life got in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute quilt! I wonder how it will be when you are back in CA. Glad to hear she is settling in to her new place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your quilt and so glad to hear about your mother's adjustment - resilience in life can never be overrated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Valentine quilt..... It's so much fun to have one to pull out on a holiday. Congratulations on getting your mom settled. These decisions are so hard to make. When we finally told my mom she deserved more out of life, she agreed and was happy to move. I only wish we had done it earlier so she would have had more time make friends and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy to hear your Mom is adjusting to her new surroundings. I can just imagine your relief. Can't wait to see what you do with your Churn Dash blocks. I'm proud of you for choosing the "modern" blocks. Those solid colors are delicious! I used a solid in something this week for the first time in a long time and it really feels good! Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everyone's churn dash blocks are full of color. Glad your mom is settling in and you're able to settle down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy to hear your mom is settling in! I think women do that more easily than men, having to do so all their lives with husbands and children. You churn dashes are lovely! I'd love those them in Kaffe Fasset fabrics too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's wonderful news about your Mom! It is great that she has a positive attitude. From what I've heard, once people get settled in, they find it is a lot nicer than they thought it would be - with new friends, etc.

    ReplyDelete