Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

If it's February 1st, it must be SOW-A-LONG day!

Well, the day has arrived! We are starting our Farmer's Wife Sow-A-Long! YEAH! I hope you are all ready, excited and prepared to start.  
First a couple of guidelines: 
I will be posting the instructions/blocks on the FIRST and THIRD Wednesday of the month.  Sharing of your blocks' progress can be done once I figure out HOW the heck to do that!
Next: I am going to be posting cutting instructions. It's not going to be the only way to do it. You may have your own favored methods. Go for it. No one particular way is right.  Do what works for you!!! That's my motto!!


Remember the blocks finish at 6" (6.5" unf).  I will indicate finished/unfinished sizes of the sections.  So, check your 1/4" seams regularly!!!I always sew my blocks larger than needed, so I can cut them down to size. To me, that's easier than trying to make them bigger! :-) I also am pretty religious about sizing up my sections and blocks as I go along. That's another thing that's entirely up to you.
We are doing 6 blocks a month. I will be indicating the numbers of the blocks which correspond to the book's numbers, not our numerical order. On page 127, there is a diagram of the quilt laid out with all the blocks. You can copy that and cross off the ones we've done, if you want. Of course you can lay them out as you wish! Note that I am doing 2 different colorways for each block, just to give you an idea of how they can look with different fabrics. 
I also am suggesting you CHANGE your NEEDLE to start.  I just read an email suggesting the TOPSTITCH needle is the best, and I fortunately had one...let me tell you, those babies have the BIGGEST EYES ever!! Wind a new bobbin, so it's ready (not that these blocks use a lot of thread...VBG). Clean out the lint and give your machine a little oil! 
This is going to be FUN! Don't stress; don't get nervous or worried! Go at your own pace. Do what you can.


BLOCK 4 (page 131) Basket Weave




Cut light, medium and dark strips 1-1/2" x 16; Sew together in sets of 3; subcut each set 3-1/2 x 3-1/2" (unf.) Sew together as indicated.




BLOCK 21 (page 148) CONTRARY WIFE






Cut (5) 2-1/2" background squares .  Make 4 half square triangles (med/dark) which are 2-1/2" unf, using whatever method you prefer. I use the easy angle ruler, cutting my strips at 2-1/2. You can also cut 2 squares 3", mark the diagonal, sew on both sides and trim to 2-1/2". Sew sections together as indicated.




BLOCK 6 (page 133) BIG DIPPER.






Light fabric: cut (2) 4-1/2 squares, cut diagonally twice
Med fabric: cut (2) 4-1/2 squares, cut diagonally twice.
Sew together consistently on the same side so you have mirror images. Each quarter square triangle will measure 3-1/2" unf.


THAT'S IT!!! It was easy, right?? Won't take any time...You'll love it.
I would love to see your progress on your blocks. I'm trying to figure out the best way to share that. That's a work in progress.


Next installment: Wednesday Feb. 15



31 comments:

  1. Wow, Randy, you are really going the extra mile in helping us out. Love it! I need to get going on this today. Your blocks look great! We'll see how things look when made from the Farmer's Shirts! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excited to get started! The Contrary Wife block is one of my favorites from the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know that you are making this very tempting right? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make thgis look sooo easy. And fast. I feel my resolve weakening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I jumpted on the bandwagon and my blocks are done! Yippee!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cutting instructions, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Couldn't resist. I'm in and block one is done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started my Farmer's Wife quilt almost two years ago, and then kind of lost interest. I have twenty-five blocks made, but am glad to find this "group" working on it. I look forward to working on this with ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been working on my quilt since last summer. I'm combining blocks with my grandmother's 1916 diary entries, written the year she turned 21. Many of my blocks are from the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt, but I've added more since I plan to end up with about 140 or so blocks.
    http://starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2011/08/farmers-daughter-quilt-introduction.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just started my FWS quilt! Love how fun and addicting these little blocks are.
    Www.quiltedsquid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for this! I just keeping staring at my book hoping that inspiration will come. This is it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just saw the link on Bonnie's blog and had to come take a peek. Now, I'm really tempted to join in with your sew-along. Do I do it with shirts or solids ... decision might depend on what I have suitable for backgrounds. Must go rummage in the stash!! Thanks for creating this sew-along and making it accessible for those of us that don't/can't do templates :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just found this, Randy. Thanks for doing the photos and instructions. I am definitely in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guess I will have to do this one. I really need another project....NOT

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to say thank you for taking on this project. I do have the book but did like the fact that all the directions are on a CD and they are templates. You have done all the homework as far as figuring what you have to cut. Thanks so much I think I will add this to my already full project list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a little late, but joining in. I already DID a Farmer's Wife quilt - all the blocks in the book, but I have a set of 30's reproduction fabric I need to use, and this will just do the trick. My first one was scrappy; sashed in red. This one - who knows? I'll use up my 30's fabric, that's for sure. I'll decide on the sashing later.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just found your sow along last weekend. I'm joining. I am using Christmas Flannels and hope to get a lap-size quilt for snuggling into during the holidays. I have all 6 done with doubles on a few for a total of 9 so far. Will send photos. Fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I will be a late starter. I have ordered the book and it will be here next week. I have reproduction fabrics that I will be making the blocks from. I am excited to begin.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will be another late starter. I had to think about this for a little while because of other projects I have to get done in the coming months. But this sounds like too much fun to pass up. Thanks for organizing the Sow-a-Long!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Question: What is the grab my button I see on your blog and some others?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Found this today and got this page done. Onward. Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  22. I found your blog from Quiltville and am joining the Sow Along. I made the first nine blocks so far but I wanted to tell you that the cutting instructions for Big Dipper block should be to cut a 4.25 inch square and then cut that two times diagonally. 4.5 inches makes the block come out 7 inches unfinished and not 6.5 inches. I hope I said this clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just ordered FWSQ book and plan to make the blocks. I am also a follower of QV/ Bonnie's blog. I appreciate this blog and hope to get started on my blocks soon.
    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  24. Is there a print friendly place I am not seeing?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Тrеmendouѕ isѕues here. I am veгy glaԁ to peer
    your articlе. Thank yοu a lοt and ӏ'm having a look ahead to contact you. Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

    my web blog :: earthsherbs.com
    Also see my site :: http://kavkaz-design.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome aгtiсle.

    mу hοmepаgе :: wiki.Silverfang.cl

    ReplyDelete
  27. The belt uѕes gel pаds postioned over the center abdomіnals and the outside obliques.


    Here is mу site; url
    My web page > http://www.prnewswire.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Нi there to every single οne, іt's actually a pleasant for me to visit this website, it contains precious Information.

    my site silk N Sensepil Review

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's only 10%, but the code is still effective

    Review my web page green smoke discount

    ReplyDelete