I made a few more blocks for the Moda Blockheads II sewalong but wasn't particularly happy with the fabrics I chose so I redid at least one block. The bottom one was the first; the top one was the improved version. Chevron vs flying geese??
And I wasn't happy with the original fabrics in this large block so I took out the large triangles and replaced them first with medium and then dark blue. This is the last one. I'm still not loving it but I'm going to leave it as it is. There are too many pieces to take it apart!
I reused the medium blue and lights which were the original large triangles and made a pinwheel. I'll use it in the quilt somewhere! I think you'll agree is kind of "blah"!!
I'm also doing the Splendid Sampler when I like the blocks (not too complicated...VBG) and they're not appliqued! I love the little blue kitty fabric! Since they are 6", they'll fit in with the Moda quilt when I'm all ready to put it together.
The surprise part of this post is a little teaser-- I'm doing a swap with Janet O. again this year and our theme is baskets. I love baskets... second only to stars. Maybe we'll do stars next time! So I've got the majority of my piece together but had some leftovers and will show you these extras! I love double pinks! These little half square triangles are perfect for Janet--they finish at 3/4"!! I'll post a picture once she's received it later this month. That's my plan for now!
We drove back from the cabin yesterday and I worked on the bottom border for the little village I've been working on from Primitive Gatherings. Tracing the words was a challenge. I ultimately got tracing paper (remember from sewing clothes way back when??) and used a pen to trace the words. I also finished most of the wool applique. There is still a key!-- I need to cut that out but I didn't bring any wool with me. UGH.. the roof is a little crooked in this picture. I even pinned it down while I sewed it. Oh my--story of my wool applique life!
Don't look at the gorgeous floral print in the top corner...might be part of the surprise for the basket top.
I really don't feel that I've mastered the stem stitch, even after all these blocks...if you have any tips on embroidering a stem stitch, I'm all ears.
Here's the rest of the village... Little Emma loves to pick up the picture of the wallhanging and compare it to what I've done--even at just 6, she's able to identify which trees should go where! The angle of the picture makes it look even wonkier than it is. It's only a little cock-eyed!! ;-) Once I get the key and other pieces for the bottom border sewn on, then I can sew it together and get the border vines and flowers cut out and ready for our next drive back up to the cabin in two weeks.
Hope you're enjoying the last vestiges of summer!