Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

Sow-A-Long blocks, first Wednesday of October

I just returned from a fabulous week's retreat in New Glarus, Wisconsin, with some wonderful friends.  I was able to work on several projects, especially since my cell phone reception was so crummy and I didn't have the internet, so I had very few distractions!! (aside from my friends who were always very entertaining!!).

So I'm sorry that I wasn't able to post  the blocks for last week's installment -- hopefully you were able to use the extra time to do other projects or maybe even (**gasp**) catch up.

1.  DOMINO NET

9 patches:
Background:   Cut (1) strip 1-1/2" x 17"
dark:             cut (1) strip 1-1/2" x 14"
Sew together to make (2) 9-patches, 3-1/2" unf, 3" fin.

Corners:
Medium:        cut (2) 2-1/2" squares
medium 2:     cut (4) 1-1/2" x 2-1/2" rectangles
Dark:            cut (2) 1-1/2" squares




2.  SMOKEHOUSE

Medium 1:     Cut (1) 3" square, cut ONCE on the diagonal  (my RED)
Medium 2:     cut (1) 3" square, cut ONCE on the diagonal  (my BLACK)
Background:   Cut (4) 2" squares, cut ONCE on the diagonal

Background:   cut (6) 2" squares
Medium:        cut (6) 2" squares
You are making 12 hsts, 1-1/2" fun, 1" fin. 


I have called these units "Mary's triangles"--they consist of a hst, 2 background triangles and one large medium triangle from above. They each  should measure 2-1/2" unf, 2" fin.
When you sew 4 of them together to form the center unit, it should measure  4-1/2" unfin, 4" fin.

Dark (corners):  cut (4) 1-1/2" squares (my BLACK)

Background:   Cut (4) 2" squares
Medium:        cut (1) 3-1/4" square, cut TWICE on the diagonal
You are making (4) flying geese, 1-1/2" x 2-1/2" unfin, 1" x 2" fin.







3.  SQUARES AND DIAMONDS:

Medium (center):   Cut (1) 2-1/2" square (my RED)

Medium:       cut (2) 3-1/4" square, cut TWICE on the diagonal (my BLUE)
Dark:           cut (1) 3-1/4" square, cut TWICE on the diagonal (my PINK)
Medium 2:    cut (1) 3-1/4" square, cut TWICE on the diagonal (my BEIGE)
These are the star points/quarter square triangles.

Background: cut (2) 3" squares
Medium:      cut (2) 3" squares (my RED)
You are making (4) half square triangles, 2-1/2" unf, 2" fin. 



That's it! aren't they fabulous? I loved looking at them while retreating, and couldn't wait to share them.

Next set of blocks with be posted Oct. 17th (second Wednesday of the month). You are almost finished. I will be posting blocks until mid-December! Then onto the next year's project!!!

Love to you all,
Randy

6 comments:

  1. Welcome home!! What is next year's project?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH. Gosh. I did not even miss the installment at all.....guess I better get busy!! Pretty Blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for these nice looking blocks! I am also happy to know that we can anticipate about 15 more blocks for this project and a possible end date. I'm going to have to start thinking about a final layout for this quilt. This has been a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home! so tell us about the hive.
    What did you sew at the retreat?
    When will you see the grandbabies?
    You know all the good stuff!

    Happy Sewing, these blocks look fabulous :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Blocks, I'm tempted to trade one of your's for the Paper-pieced ones in the Farmer's Wife. Is that CHEATING??? Welcome Back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the Smokehouse block. Can't wait for next year's project so I can start in from the very beginning ... glad you enjoyed Wisconsin ... it's a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete