Pages

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Center Appliqué

My appliqué is just like Lori's but in RED!! My stems are black. I use wonder under which I use to trace the pattern onto. For the birds facing different directions, I held up the pattern to the window and turned it around for tracing. In other words, I held the reverse side of the pattern to the window so I was tracing the back side of the pattern...That way we would have mirror images of the birds!

My stems are made using bias bars I have had from Clothilde, I think. I cut my strips on the bias 2" wide, sewed them together WRONG sides together, using a  very scant 1/4" seam. I insert the bias bar into my strip, place the seam in the center and press from that side. I also spray as I iron with starch. I used a glue stick to hold the stems in place.  Then I sewed them, using a regular straight stitch along each side of the stem.

For sewing the pieces down, I used a buttonhole stitch.  For doing the flowers, I sewed the center circle down first onto the flower.  Once the center was sewn down, then I could sew down the whole flower. It was easier for me to do it that way!  The bird's eye is just a black permanent pen.

Easy!! Fun (even though it's appliqué!!)








4 comments:

  1. I couldn't get my printer to work today so I just
    did some improvising on making the center block. Also couldn't find my wonder under so I just cut out shapes and used elmer's school glue to put them where I wanted them. I have never done machine applique but now I understand why it is so popular......I got the whole block done in a few hours! Very cute and very fun too.
    Thanks for the sew along.

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your gorgeous color choices, Randy. And I am watching this one. I don't applique--other than wool. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to check my stash and pull some fabric to get going. Now thjat I have seen your red and Lori's white, I just do not know what colors to use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great!! I didn't know you used the buttonhole stitch. I love that!

    ReplyDelete