Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

June mini? Or is it July's?

I have honestly lost track of whether I finished my June mini or not... how sad, right??

This is what I recently finished.  It'll cover BOTH June and July!! And I think I get a gold star for completing a top that has been sitting for at least 3, maybe 4 years!  AND, not only that, but I used up ALL the leftover fabric in making the second top!!  Can I hear a WOOHOO??!!!

This first top was more work than I anticipated.  The main reason was that at the time I started it, I didn't have my design wall up yet in the cabin and I was trying to work on it with a very small "design wall" I made, that was maybe 15x24"... I had half the top on the floor!  Didn't work very well.  This definitely requires that you see the whole thing at one in order to line up the pieces correctly.  I don't think I made any mistakes...



And then I decided that I really didn't want any scraps from this project nor did I want to add to my stash by putting any of the fabrics back into "storage" so I cut all the rest of the fabric into 2-1/2" strips and made something called a Jelly Roll quilt.  Very complicated, right?  HEEHEE


Now I just need to run it over to the LQS (which just happens to be having a 40% sale) to find a border.  DONE... June and July minis are done (well, they need quilting but that's another story)... What do ya think, Wendy Reed???  Do I get a ribbon or what???  vbg

I've also been keeping up with the Moda Blockheads II in red/white/blue.  This is the latest block:  Note that my points are not meeting exactly, which honestly doesn't bother me, because once it's in the quilt, you'll never notice.



I've also been doing most of the Splendid Sampler blocks (except for the applique ones, which I just didn't have the time for when we had the kids at the cabin).  Doing the same red/white/blue so I can combine all the blocks into one project.


I like the construction of this star because there aren't really points to match.  My stripes almost match. VBG

I have more projects to show you but will save them for later in the week!

5 comments:

  1. The crosses is definitely a mini that required laying out so you can see what goes where from row to row. I did a very scrappy pineapple quilt a long time ago where one color range would go from one pineapple block to the one beside it. But it had other color ranges around the block that had to go to connecting blocks also. I had piles of strips by color all over the place. Tried lots of methods to keep things straight. I was able to finish it correctly but oh what a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! Awesome finishes for both months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great little mini. Love your color palette. And a very good use of your leftovers. Good job using them all up!
    Years ago I cut squares to make something like it, but still haven't taken a stitch. I think I was worried that I wouldn't be able to keep it all straight.
    Smart move to make both of the SAL blocks in r/w/b so you can combine the block. Looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your June/July mini is lovely and actually the back jellyroll could be a whole month in itself, right? ;))) I love those little crosses' colors hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome finishes! I especially love the mini!

    ReplyDelete